"Preserving the past for all to see and remember".

Fort Wayne Firefighters Museum, Inc.

226  West  Washington Blvd

Fort Wayne, IN. 46802

 The Fort Wayne Firefighters’ Museum, Inc. was organized on April 20, 1974, two years after the City closed Fire Station #3 in downtown Fort Wayne. In 1975 they leased the building from the City and started collecting artifacts from Fort Wayne’s past. In 1979 painting and reconstruction began. The building was deeded from the City on April 8, 1987 and became the property  of the Museum. The Museum finally opened on a limited basis in 1981. Additional renovations were done between 1998 and 2009 to expand the exhibit area. In 2001 a staff was hired and regular hours were started so the public could enjoy our past. Along with the many artifacts on display, the Museum also teaches fire safety to young and old alike.

Fort Wayne Firefighters’ Museum

Old Station #3

Engine House #3, which houses the Firefighters’ Museum, was built in 1893. At that time, the structure on West Washington Blvd. Consisted of only the two east bays. Six men, four horses, a hose wagon, and a chemical wagon were housed in that station.

 

Due to the tremendous growth of the city’s business district, Engine House #3 was more than doubled in size in 1907. With the addition of a new two-story wing and bell tower, it became the city’s largest firehouse.

 

In 1909, another wing was added to the rear of the structure. This single-story addition housed a variety of special equipment. Engine House #3 was retired in 1972 following the completion of a new modern central fire station on east Main Street.

 

In the reconstructed 1893 firehouse, the public is shown how the Fort Wayne Fire Department developed from a volunteer department(1839-1882) to an organization of paid professionals (1882-Present). This history is traced from the use of hand pumpers and neighborhood volunteers through the development of the Steamers and paid firefighters right up to the present day heroes.

 

Almost all of the artifacts in the museum were once used by the Fort Wayne Fire Department. Most were graciously donated to the Museum by present and former firefighters or their families in the hopes that future generations can fully understand just how far the fire service has come in the last century and a half.

 

Station #3 as it was originally built in 1893

1848 Button Hand Pumper

Early Steamer at Station #3

Contact Us

The Firefighters’ Museum is located right in the heart of downtown Fort Wayne on West Washington Blvd. between Harrison Street and Webster Street. The Museum is next to the Allen County Central Library and across from the Grand Wayne Convention Center complex.

Hours:

The Museum is open:

Weekdays

10:00 am to 4:00 pm

Saturdays

10:00 am to 3:00 pm

Closed Wednesdays, Sundays

 and most holidays.

 

Fees:

Adults         $4.00

Seniors       $3.00

Students (K-12) $3.00

5 and Under Free 

Group rates available for

scheduled guided tours

 

Fort Wayne Firefighters Museum, Inc.

226 West Washington Blvd.

Fort Wayne, IN. 46802

(260) 426 - 0051

fwfmuseum@netscape.net